Crispy Wings (adapted from Cook’s Illustrated “Meats Book”)
4 lb chicken wings, cut into wingettes and drumettes (tips discarded)
2 tbsp baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA / BI-CARB SODA!!)
¾ tsp salt
1. If you have time, uncover the chicken wings and leave them in the fridge for a few hours to dry out. Otherwise, use a paper towel to pat the wings dry.
2. Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions.
3. Preheat oven to 250F.
4. Line a baking tray with foil, then place a rack (like a cooling rack) on the foil. Spray the rack with oil spray.
5. Place wings in a large bowl or in a ziplock bag. Add the baking powder and salt, then toss to coat evenly.
6. Place the wings on the baking tray in a single layer with the skin side up. They should just fit snugly. They will shrink when they cook because the fat renders out, so don’t worry if they look too snug.
7. Place wings on the lower middle oven rack and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Move wings up to the upper middle rack and increase the oven temperature to 425F. Bake for 40 – 50 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through.
9. Remove baking tray from the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes.
10. Toss wings in sauce or serve it on the side to dip or drizzle on, then serve.
You will notice once the wings come out of the oven that they are smaller than usual. This is because the fat under the skin renders out while baking in the low oven. The wings will not bake to a dark golden brown unless you leave them in for 1 hr+. They bake to a golden brown. You will know they are done when the skin will be crispy.
Buffalo Chicken Wing Pizza (from Sarah Manaresi’s Kitchen)
1 Boboli pizza crust
chicken wings/drumettes, already cooked
favorite hot sauce
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
On the crust add a little bit of your favorite hot sauce. Take the meat off of the chicken wings/drumettes and lightly toss in your favorite hot sauce. Add both cheeses. Cook in oven for about 10 minutes, or until cheese melts. Serve with your favorite salad or veggie tray.